Did You Know ……..?
- Medical Errors Are the No 3 Killer in USA after heart disease and cancer? Not too sure what the Ghanaian numbers are.
- Repeated drug use can reset the brain’s pleasure meter, so that without the drug, you feel hopeless and sad. Eventually, everyday fun stuff like spending time with friends doesn’t make you happy anymore.
- Drugs mess with your brain’s wiring and signals.
- 1 in 3 songs said something about drug, alcohol, or tobacco use.
- 3 in 4 rap songs said something about drug, alcohol, or tobacco use.
- 7 in 10 movies showed characters smoking.
- 1 in 3 movies showed people getting drunk
FACT: Tobacco causes wrinkles, bad breath, yellow teeth, wheezing, stinky clothes
It has become the norm in modern society to visit the local pharmacy for an over
the counter (OTC) medication or your doctor for a prescription to relieve a
symptom that has manifested itself in your body and is taking your attention from the norm of life.
However, the invisible aspect of this day to day chemical medicine ritual is hardly
ever a second or third thought as we experience the “cover-up” of pain, swelling,
lowered blood pressure, acceptable sugar levels, infertility (contraceptives), nasal
decongestant, fever and the numerous other physical annoyances that distract us
from our busy lives. Plop, fizz, swallow…what a “relief”!
Let’s for a moment take that look inside of the pharmacology of this temporary
relief one experiences from the medications we so faithfully rely on.
Pharmacology is the study of interactions of chemical agents with the biochemical
functions of the body. It is the Greek term for poison. Every OTC and prescription drug works in the body to change an unnatural or natural pattern of function.
People use pharmaceuticals for five main reasons:
1. To mask the symptoms of disease until the body heals itself, i.e. Anti-inflammatory drugs, antacids, antipyretics
2. To replace a permanent malfunction in the body, i.e., thyroid meds, diabetes meds
3. To alter a normal body function to accommodate lifestyle, i.e. Contraceptives, cholesterol meds
4. To eliminate foreign agents or congestion from the body that disrupt the norm body function, i.e. Antibiotics, laxatives and
5. To alter the central nervous system when the mind body experiences an imbalance, i.e. Antidepressants, ADHD medications.
It sounds wonderful that meds can do all this? This is all good, right? Well…
There are a few things about medications that doctors and OTC instructions
don’t normally reveal to consumers and that is the possibility of chemical overload
in the body system if pharmaceuticals are ingested for even short periods of time.
The body is design to process a certain amount of natural chemicals that are
usually found if the foods we eat, otherwise known as acid foods.
The cleansing organs of the body, the liver, gall bladder, intestines and the skin
work daily to regulate the influx of these ideally naturally occurring chemicals and
it operates just fine. The issue comes in when we take in extremely high levels of
synthetic chemicals through all manners of pollution, detergents, chemical based
perfumes, colognes and lotions, pesticides laced foods, processed foods and pharmaceuticals.
The result of this excessive ingestion is a chemical overload in the body where we
find ourselves living in a toxic state of existence which causes states of addiction,
organ degeneration, premature aging and deceased longevity in life. Why don’t the average healthcare providers disclose this type of information while they are sitting on the other side of the desk writing the prescription?
Unfortunately, many are not trained in the adverse reactions of the thousands of
medications outside of the known side effects.
And one must acquaint yourself with the fact the pharmaceuticals is very big business and has economic links to all parts of the world…there are certain things the consumer just doesn’t need to know.
How do you determine your personal level of toxicity, whether it be from the day
to day living in an industrial environment of the city or due to the different types
of medications you are taking to normalize your lifestyle or keep yourself alive?
In the world of natural health where it is customary to practice preventative
health and healing without excessive toxin intake, a Naturopath (a Healthcare provider that assist clients in healing through nutritional and alternative modalities), has the means of checking the levels of toxicity through
- pH testing
- urine analysis
- Lifestyle assessments.
- Body Composition Analysis
- Quantum Bio-Scan Analysis
Depending on the level of toxicity a personal detox regimen is formulated to
provide maximum relief for the internal organs to restore natural body
function and reverse the degeneration process to live healthier and longer in
If pharmaceuticals are a major part of your life, a naturopath can recommend
to you a pharmaceutical detox to balance the intake of drugs so that the body
works with your allopathic prescription and alleviates some the organ stress
and chemical overload.
A detox regimen consists of cleansing the organs, supplying adequate levels of
pH balanced foods, herbal therapy, hydrotherapy and touch therapy.
Everyone deserves a life that is not dictated by how often you have to take a
pill. We were created with body systems that should work in harmony with the
natural rhythms of the earth where the season of life is filled with the
enjoyment of health, love and fulfillment according to one’s purpose.
However, we often relinquish that balance in the name of progress and we find
ourselves on autopilot in a world against nature. The wise ones remember the
way and the fools ignore it and relish in their suffering.
Credit: Dr. Akua Gray, of A Life of Peace Institute (ALOP) and Consultant at LifeWellness Wholistic Center